Pages - Menu

Friday 3 June 2016

Journal #1

From my understanding, hip hop is a culture involving a community of people which led to the creation of various art forms such as mc-ing, dj-ing, graffiti and breaking. It began as a way to express struggle of those unvoiced. So I believe hip hop is an outlet for expression using the elements of hip hop. As a bgirl, I break as a way to express my stress and myself to others. By involving myself in the culture through breaking, I quickly gained appreciation for all the other elements. Even the way I dressed began to change, as I started to wear clothing functional for breaking such as windbreaker jackets and pants. The people in the culture also influenced me the more time I invested in breaking. Now I can say that hip hop is a lifestyle that must be shared amongst others, which makes it a culture.
There are many ways that hip hop and design come together such as the fashion, the influence of graffiti art in design and poster designs to name a few. Some popular hip hop imagery include graffiti lettering or calligraphy and stars. Hip hop has a huge influence on fashion design, particularly street fashion; through the impact of famous hip hop artists and peers. From my experience, when I first entered the breaking scene, I had no idea what kind of attire would be appropriate. Later, I realized that there's fashion involved in the dance which changed my style completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment